FEMA Awards Over $1.5 M to Mass for COVID-19 Call Center

Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — The Federal Emergency Management Agency will be sending more than $1.5 million to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to reimburse it for the cost of operating a public information hotline during the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health will receive a total of $1,548,332 in federal funding through FEMA's Public Assistance grant program to reimburse the cost of administering expanded call capabilities for its "2-1-1" Call Center.
 
Between March 2020 and July 2021, the department contracted services to expand cellular communications for its Call Center, which provided real time COVID-19 information, resources, and referrals in multiple languages.
 
With this expanded access to 24/7 information, Massachusetts residents were able to receive critical information related to COVID-19 prevention, symptoms, treatment, testing, travel, and interpreter services.
 
"FEMA is pleased to be able to assist the Massachusetts Department of Public Health with these costs," said FEMA Region 1 Regional Administrator Lori Ehrlich. "Reimbursing state, county, and municipal governments – as well as eligible non-profits and tribal entities – for the costs incurred during the COVID-19 pandemic is an important part of our nation's ongoing recovery."
 
FEMA's Public Assistance program is an essential source of funding for states and communities recovering from a federally declared disaster or emergency.
 
So far, FEMA has provided more than $1.7 billion in Public Assistance grants to Massachusetts to reimburse the commonwealth for pandemic-related expenses.

Tags: FEMA,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Central Berkshire Picks Insider Henault for Next Superintendent

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff

Michael Henault is interviewed by the School Committee on Wednesday. 
DALTON, Mass. — The Central Berkshire Regional School Committee didn't go far to find its next superintendent. 
 
The committee voted unanimously on Wednesday to offer the post to Michael Henault, who has been the district's assistant superintendent for three years. 
 
"He is an incredible candidate. It doesn't matter for what district, and I think he is ready, and certainly chomping at the bit to take on the next challenge," said Charlotte Crane, committee member. 
 
"I suspect that we wouldn't be able to hold on again for too much longer in the assistant superintendent position." 
 
The vote came at the end of a four-hour meeting during which Henault and two other finalists — John Franzoni, superintendent of the Northern Berkshire School Union, and Matthew Bishop, interim deputy superintendent for the Pittsfield Public Schools — were interviewed. 
 
The 13 of the 15 committee members representing the seven towns in the district agreed that it was a difficult decision because of the quality of the candidates. 
 
"I'm extremely torn right now," said Ellen Lattizzori of Dalton. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories