PITTSFIELD, Mass. With Pittsfield still in the highest incidence rate for COVID-19 transmission, the Board of Health addressed a possible nationwide decision that the virus is no longer an emergency.
In late January, President Joseph Biden announced an intent to end national and public health emergency declarations in May. This could reportedly affect insurance coverage of tests, vaccines, and treatments.
Public Health Nurse Patricia Tremblay said that there is an expectation to hear a verdict in April and the city will continue to follow guidance from the Center for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
"There is a lot of changes, I think, that are coming," she said to the board on Wednesday.
She also reported nationwide conversations around vaccination that shift it to a regular yearly shot, similar to the flu vaccine.
"I know that the vaccine organizations, the (Food and Drug Administration) and the CDC, are all looking at the option of doing one booster a year but none of that has been voted or settled," Tremblay reported.
Berkshire County Head Start was notified by the state that they should put in their spring order for COVID test kits that are used for mitigation and were told that the free kits would no longer be provided after that time.
Board member Steve Smith asked "if and when" health facilities will no longer require masks and Tremblay said that there have already been efforts to remove that requirement in New York state.
Smith wondered what the declaration would mean for the BOH and the city.
"For a long time, we every month revisited our mask directive, which was never a mandate, but we talked about when to dismiss or get rid of the directive and when to reapply the directive," he said.
"And I just don't know, in this discussion about COVID I'm just wondering where we are."
He pointed to some peoples' view that the virus is here to stay and will have to be managed like the flu.
"I just wonder where we are with that," Smith added. "By the federal government if it's no longer an urgent type of health issue maybe it won't be back?"
On Wednesday there were 19.7 cases per 100,000 people, 12 new cases, and 55 estimated actively contagious cases. The positivity rate was around 10 percent.
Sewage concentration has been identified as the truest way to judge the virus's impact on the community, as other metrics don't include at-home tests. There were 1.5 million copies per liter on Wednesday, compared to about 650,000 copies per liter in mid-Feburary.
There are around 7 hospitalizations for the virus at Berkshire Medical Center.
"We've had a little uptick but it was school vacation week last week and it had gotten to the point where we had relatively small numbers of cases every day, a couple of days we didn't have any cases," Tremblay explained.
"Typically the two high-risk populations we look at are children under 18 and adults 65 and over. We were getting anywhere from two to six adults in that risk population and the children were not as frequent."
The city remains in the "red zone" for transmission, having more than 10 cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate above 5 percent. It has essentially remained in this category since last year with some reprieve in the spring that put the city in the lesser "yellow zone."
Late last year, there was a death, bringing the city's count to 92.
Tremblay said it is "sort of sad" that only 77 percent of residents are fully vaccinated and 89 percent have received one dose, a metric that has been consistent for some time.
She also reported seeing two kinds of families when it comes to testing, those who test regularly and utilize the health department's free kits that are available to the public and those who are "pretty religious" about not testing for a variety of reasons.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Pittsfield Schools Get Additional Chapter 70 Funds
By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Pittsfield schools received almost $459,000 in additional Chapter 70 funds, and officials are looking to restore some positions.
On Tuesday, the City Council accepted an additional $458,660 for the Pittsfield Public Schools fiscal year 2027 budget. Mayor Peter Marchetti confirmed that they were Chapter 70 funds, the primary source of state aid for public elementary and secondary schools in Massachusetts.
"What I can tell you is, during the budget process, [State Rep. Tricia Farley-Bouvier] was talking about two different pots of money that she was looking to get, and so some of this came from the per pupil aid amount. That's what the increase in our funding was for,” he explained when asked about how it will be spent.
"It was her intent, and it was the intent of the superintendent, to save positions. Positions that we were cutting from the budget. But I can't give you a definitive answer because the School Committee has not engaged in the conversation of where that money will go inside the school budget," he said.
The School Committee can appropriate the funds at its discretion. Marchetti, also School Committee chair, agreed to notify councilors where those monies went in the budget, per Ward 7 Councilor Kathy Moody's request.
The Pittsfield Public Schools' original $86,855,061 budget included $68,886,061 in Chapter 70 funding. PPS faced a more than $4 million deficit during this process.
Assistant Superintendent for Business and Finance Bonnie Howland on Wednesday told the School Committee that they have discussed adding at least four paraprofessionals.
"We're going to try to stretch the money as far as we can," she said, explaining that they talked about maintaining the assistant principal of teaching and learning and Reid but were notified that it will be grant-funded.
On Friday, students of the Flying Cloud Institute's Future Innovators Camp launched their model rockets at Herberg Middle School after a week studying the physics of flight.
click for more
Three people were taken to the hospital Sunday evening after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue, police said. click for more
A new mixed-income housing development cut the ribbon on the apartment complex Thursday morning with state and local officials in attendance. click for more
Blighted homes in the West Side and Morningside neighborhoods will be demolished as part of the city's yearly effort to address abandoned properties. click for more