Sandra Lopez Nieves and Joseph Bevilacqua of Vermont, with chef Chris Bonnivier of Adams, are taking over Desperados on Eagle Street and plan to reopen on Thursday.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Desperados Mexican Restaurant is set to reopen on Thursday under new management.
A sign announcing the reopening went up on the door of the Eagle Street restaurant on Tuesday, more than two weeks after the business temporarily suspended operations.
The announcement was made by the new team of chef Chris Bonnivier of Adams and his partners Sandra Lopez Nieves and Joseph Bevilacqua.
"Our vision is to continue the current menu, but make a few improvements that best showcase both Sandra and Joseph's talents," said Bonnivier in a press release. "I am very excited to take on another project close to home and am eager to again keep the 20-plus year tradition of Desperadoes that David Atwell created for a family fun atmosphere with great quality of food and beverages. My partners Sandra and Joseph will draw much inspiration from their Puerto Rican heritage and deliver a consistent quality product that Desperados has been known for many years."
Bonnivier's appeared on the Food Network and worked in a number of high-end hotels including the The Adelphi House in Saratoga, N.Y., and the former Gala in the Orchards.
His role in this project will be investor and consultant. Bevilacqua will be the chef and Lopez Nieves will be managing the front of house operations.
Bonnivier is purchasing the business from Pete Oleskewicz, who's owned the eatery for about five years. Oleskewicz has been facing a number of health challenges and felt it best to move on from the restaurant.
"I truly love this restaurant. The staff and community have been tremendously amazing. It was a really tough decision to make, but I feel it was best for everyone. I am thrilled to have such an amazing group of people take Desperados to the next level," said Oleskewicz.
The restaurant's been on Eagle Street for about a dozen years and was first opened by David Atwell. Oleskewicz, vice president of the City Council, said he will be focusing his time and energy on Miss Adams Diner, which he opened earlier this year.
On Sept. 4, Oleskewicz posted on Facebook that Desperados would temporarily suspend operations and try to restructure. "There are many reasons and layers that led to this decision. It is not what I wanted to do but it is best for business and my personal health," he wrote.
The restaurant has faced a number of challenges since the beginning of the pandemic, with the primary one being staffing. Bonnivier says he is very confident that they can address these challenges with chef Joseph and Sandra at the helm they will take head on and deliver quality service and a menu that is enjoyed by all.
Berkshires born, Bonnivier has more than 40 years of experience in two- and three-Michelin starred restaurants. His expertise ranges from fine dining to food trucks.
He is well known for his features on Food Network's "Beat Bobby Flay" and "Chopped." He has been involved with culinary ventures across the country while working for a few top-level celebrity chefs like David Burke and two-star Michelin chef Terrance Brennan, as well as the David Burke group NYC, Cranwell Resort Spa & Golf Club in Lenox, L' Hostellerie Bressane in Hillsdale, N.Y., The Hermitage Resort & Club in Wilmington, Vt., and the former Orchards.
Bonnivier is often traveling from Basin Harbor,Vt., to the Berkshires to New York City and many other places in between with his C&L hospitality consultants but also in his Full Belly Food Truck.
Nieves and Bevilacqua are originally from Isabella, Puerto Rico, and were formerly involved with La Casita in Wilmington and The Hermitage, where Bevilacqua worked with Bonnivier. Nieves also managed the front of house at La Casita where they featured authentic Mexican cuisine and a wide range of Mexican beer and liquors. They are very well known in Southern Vermont for their high quality standards for food and beverages in a comfortable atmosphere.
The have three daughters, Tatianna, Alejandra and Alanna, and live in Southern Vermont.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Clarksburg Select Board Accepts School Roof Bid, Debates Next Steps
By Tammy Daniels iBerkshires Staff
CLARKSBURG, Mass. — The Select Board last week accepted a bid by D.J. Wooliver & Sons to do the flat roof on the elementary school.
Wooliver was the lowest bid at about $400,000 but cautioned that the cost may rise depending on the conditions once the work started. The work will depend on town meeting approving a borrowing for the project and a possible debt exclusion.
But how much borrow and whether the work will be worth it has been a conundrum for town and school officials. The condition of the school has been a major topic at meetings of the board and the School Committee over the past few months.
Town officials are considering putting the question to the voters — try to piecemeal renovations or begin a new study on renovating or building a new school.
In the meantime, the leaking roof has prompted an array of buckets throughout the school.
"Until they actually get in there and start ripping everything up, we won't really know the extent of all the damage per se so it's really kind of hard to make a decision," board member Colton Andrew said at last week's meeting, broadcast on Northern Berkshire Community Television.
Board member Daniel Haskins wondered if it would be better to patch until a town made a decision on a school project or do a portion of the roof. But Chair Robert Norcross disagreed.
Bailey explained that this change will allow police officers more flexibility when responding to non-emergency calls, reducing wait times at the traffic light and reducing potential traffic congestion when emergency vehicles need to pass through.
click for more
First Congregational Church of North Adams' fourth annual "Share the Love" campaign concluded with over $9,000 raised to support local organizations serving individuals in need. click for more
The School Building Committee's update on Tuesday included that a public records request for the detailed design documents is requiring redaction and review, including by public safety. click for more