image description

Pittsfield Health Board Talks Nationwide Effort to End the COVID Emergency

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. With Pittsfield still in the highest incidence rate for COVID-19 transmission, the Board of Health addressed a possible nationwide decision that the virus is no longer an emergency.
 
In late January, President Joseph Biden announced an intent to end national and public health emergency declarations in May.  This could reportedly affect insurance coverage of tests, vaccines, and treatments.
 
Public Health Nurse Patricia Tremblay said that there is an expectation to hear a verdict in April and the city will continue to follow guidance from the Center for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
 
"There is a lot of changes, I think, that are coming," she said to the board on Wednesday.
 
She also reported nationwide conversations around vaccination that shift it to a regular yearly shot, similar to the flu vaccine.
 
"I know that the vaccine organizations, the (Food and Drug Administration) and the CDC, are all looking at the option of doing one booster a year but none of that has been voted or settled," Tremblay reported.
 
Berkshire County Head Start was notified by the state that they should put in their spring order for COVID test kits that are used for mitigation and were told that the free kits would no longer be provided after that time.
 
Board member Steve Smith asked "if and when" health facilities will no longer require masks and Tremblay said that there have already been efforts to remove that requirement in New York state.
 
Smith wondered what the declaration would mean for the BOH and the city.
 
"For a long time, we every month revisited our mask directive, which was never a mandate, but we talked about when to dismiss or get rid of the directive and when to reapply the directive," he said.
 
"And I just don't know, in this discussion about COVID I'm just wondering where we are."
 
He pointed to some peoples' view that the virus is here to stay and will have to be managed like the flu.
 
"I just wonder where we are with that," Smith added.  "By the federal government if it's no longer an urgent type of health issue maybe it won't be back?"
 
On Wednesday there were 19.7 cases per 100,000 people, 12 new cases, and 55 estimated actively contagious cases.  The positivity rate was around 10 percent.
 
Sewage concentration has been identified as the truest way to judge the virus's impact on the community, as other metrics don't include at-home tests.  There were 1.5 million copies per liter on Wednesday, compared to about 650,000 copies per liter in mid-Feburary.
 
There are around 7 hospitalizations for the virus at Berkshire Medical Center.
 
"We've had a little uptick but it was school vacation week last week and it had gotten to the point where we had relatively small numbers of cases every day, a couple of days we didn't have any cases," Tremblay explained.
 
"Typically the two high-risk populations we look at are children under 18 and adults 65 and over.  We were getting anywhere from two to six adults in that risk population and the children were not as frequent."
 
The city remains in the "red zone" for transmission, having more than 10 cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate above 5 percent. It has essentially remained in this category since last year with some reprieve in the spring that put the city in the lesser "yellow zone."
 
Late last year, there was a death, bringing the city's count to 92.
 
Tremblay said it is "sort of sad" that only 77 percent of residents are fully vaccinated and 89 percent have received one dose, a metric that has been consistent for some time.
 
She also reported seeing two kinds of families when it comes to testing, those who test regularly and utilize the health department's free kits that are available to the public and those who are "pretty religious" about not testing for a variety of reasons.
 
 
 

Tags: COVID-19,   


More Coronavirus Updates

Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 news:


If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Fourth Shooting Occurs Day After DA Announces Gun Violence Task Force

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The day after Berkshire District Attorney Timothy Shugrue announced a task force to take on a spate of gun violence in the city, a another person was injured after shots were fired on Circular Avenue early Tuesday evening. 

Pittsfield Police responded to a 5:30 p.m. ShotSpotter activation at 45 Circular Ave.on Tuesday night. Five rounds were shot, and there was one victim, police said. 
 
"We're investigating it. We don't know if it's connected to anything else," Detective Lt. John Mazzeo said. "What's going on? We can't speculate. It's way too early for that, and the house was struck." 
 
He could not speak to the identity or condition of the victim; a press release shortly afterward stated the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Berkshire Medical Center by private vehicle.
 
By around 7 p.m. when iBerkshires was on site, the area near the intersection of Circular Avenue and Division Street was blocked off with tape. 
 
This is the fourth gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June.

On Sunday evening, three people were taken to the hospital after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue. This is the third gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June. 

The investigation into all three incidents is still active, and police are confident that they are targeted acts of violence. 

"Right now, our community is rightfully extremely concerned and troubled," Shugrue said in a statement released on Monday.  

"There are many unanswered questions surrounding these incidents of violence. There is an understandable feeling of frustration and fear that no one has been arrested and limited questions have been answered." 

The task force will be led by First Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey, who formerly served at the U.S. Department of Justice's Violent Crimes and Racketeering Section. It will support the Pittsfield Police Department's work and provide additional resources, including additional personnel and overtime funding through grants awarded to the Berkshire DA to support the investigation.

Members of the Pittsfield Police, the Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the District Attorney's Office, and the Berkshire County Law Enforcement Task Force will be present. 

On June 18, a person died after being shot in the area of Tyler Street and Pleasure Avenue, and another person was injured. Following an extensive investigation, PPD applied for and was granted an arrest warrant for Terry Martizna, wanted for murder. 

On Aug. 4, there was a report of approximately 25 rounds fired around the intersection of Onota and Walnut Street, leading to two non-life-threatening injuries. 

This past weekend, on Aug. 16, there was a third incident of gun violence in the area of Francis Avenue and Linden Street, and three individuals suffered non-life-threatening injuries. 

The DA said all three incidents shattered a feeling of safety in the city.
 
"At this point, we also know that the incidents of violence involve both adults and juveniles. The investigation into all three incidents remains active," the DA wrote. 

"While it is unclear if the incidents are connected, based on the investigations to date, law enforcement are confident that the incidents are targeted and NOT random."

Mayor Peter Marchetti on Monday assured the community that the city is diligently working with law enforcement officials to identify those responsible, as "these acts of violence are not acceptable in this community, and I remain committed to holding those responsible accountable." 

Marchetti, in a written statement posted to social media, said he is in regular communication with the police chief and DA as they continue investigations. He is thankful for the formation of the specialized task force and additional resources. 

"As Mayor, I am committed to providing updates to the public regarding public safety matters, when appropriate. I share your frustration about the limited information released but I will not compromise the integrity of any investigation. As these investigations continue, the public should know that the DA’s Office and Pittsfield Police Department are using every available resource they have to bring the cases to a successful conclusion," he wrote. 

"However, we cannot do this work alone. I continue to ask anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or who has information, photographs, or video that could assist investigators to contact the Pittsfield Police Department." 

He emphasized that all individuals need to be held accountable, and said he cannot jeopardize the case by providing information before it is appropriate. 

Pittsfield has seen gun violence incidents uptick during the summer in the past decade. In 2021, from May 12 through mid-June, there were 13 shootings in Pittsfield, most of which happened in the city's West Side.

The DA said this violence, while carried out by people, is amplified by access to guns and ammunition. Anyone with information of someone with an illegal firearm or any information regarding these incidents is asked to contact Pittsfield Police, 413-448-9700, or provide an anonymous tip by texting PITTIP and your message to TIP411 (847411).

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories