The third of an acre is in the northeast corner of the property; a 15-foot wide access runs along the east side.
The location of the 271-year-old Fort Massachusetts is being gifted to the city by Price Chopper/Market 32 and the Golub family. The City Council will vote on accepting the gift on Tuesday.
The first fort was surrendered to the French in 1746 and 45 prisoners taken captive. The wood structure was burnt to the ground and rebuilt the following year. Its usefulness had passed by the time of the Revolution.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Price Chopper is making a gift of one of the city's oldest historical sites: Fort Massachusetts.
The park, which includes a chimney from the1930s replica and a plaque, sits in the northeast corner of the parking lot of the closed supermarket.
Neil Golub, Price Chopper/Market 32's executive chairman, said in a statement he was committed to ensuring the conveyance of the third of an acre to the city following the announcement to close the State Road market last year.
"I am so pleased to make this gift to the City of North Adams, knowing that its Historic Commission is dedicated to working with local preservationists to maintain the site on which Fort Massachusetts once stood," said Golub.
Mayor Richard Alcombright said on Tuesday he had been working with the Golubs and Wendy Champney, who had really spearheaded the preservation effort, in finding a way to move the process along.
"I wanted to get it done before I left," said the mayor, who is leaving office in December at the end of his fourth term.
Mona Golub, vice president of public relations and consumer services, had come out and walked the site with them not long ago. "They wanted to do this in a thoughtful way," Alcombright said.
They surveyed and delineated a .345-acre rectangle abutting neighboring properties and carved out a 15-wide access along the east side of the property to the Friendly's property.
Price Chopper had taken respectful care of the King George's War site for decades and the supermarket's closure had caused consternation at the Historical Commission and Historical Society. There was concern that whoever bought the property would remove the park or prevent access.
A replica of the fort was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s as a museum and meeting place for the Daughters of the American Revolution; it was later sold as a restaurant but was vacant the last years of its existence.
Golub Corp. purchased the five-acre property in 1959 and demolished the replica a year later to make way for what was then Central Market and its parking lot. It has, however, maintained the replica's chimney, and a small park and plaque marking its location for many years.
"The Price Chopper employees truly understood the significance of Fort Massachusetts to the community in their upkeep over the years," Historical Commission Chairwoman Justyna said in a statement. "We appreciate the Golub's generous gift of this historic parcel to the current residents of North Adams. What an appropriate time of the year. We have much for which to be thankful on this Thanksgiving 2017."
On Aug. 19-20, 1746, 900 French and natives of the St. François tribe under the command of Gen. Pierre Rigaud de Vaudreuil besieged Fort Massachusetts, a frontier outpost at what was then East Hoosuck. The 45 colonists surrendered the next day. Col. Ephraim Williams was charged with building and defending the fort but was absent when it was attacked. It was rebuilt in 1747. More information on the fort can be found here.
There has been some uncertainty as to the exact location of the fort but Champney, who has written a couple books on the subject, is convinced the DAR had the right spot.
The City Council will vote on accepting the gift of land at next Tuesday's meeting. The Historical Commission will be responsible for the park.
"It's a bit of a closing chapter between what was a wonderful relationship between Price Chopper and the city for 60 years," Alcombright said. "I think this is a very nice way to say thank you to our community."
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Clarksburg Select Board Accepts School Roof Bid, Debates Next Steps
By Tammy Daniels iBerkshires Staff
CLARKSBURG, Mass. — The Select Board last week accepted a bid by D.J. Wooliver & Sons to do the flat roof on the elementary school.
Wooliver was the lowest bid at about $400,000 but cautioned that the cost may rise depending on the conditions once the work started. The work will depend on town meeting approving a borrowing for the project and a possible debt exclusion.
But how much borrow and whether the work will be worth it has been a conundrum for town and school officials. The condition of the school has been a major topic at meetings of the board and the School Committee over the past few months.
Town officials are considering putting the question to the voters — try to piecemeal renovations or begin a new study on renovating or building a new school.
In the meantime, the leaking roof has prompted an array of buckets throughout the school.
"Until they actually get in there and start ripping everything up, we won't really know the extent of all the damage per se so it's really kind of hard to make a decision," board member Colton Andrew said at last week's meeting, broadcast on Northern Berkshire Community Television.
Board member Daniel Haskins wondered if it would be better to patch until a town made a decision on a school project or do a portion of the roof. But Chair Robert Norcross disagreed.
Bailey explained that this change will allow police officers more flexibility when responding to non-emergency calls, reducing wait times at the traffic light and reducing potential traffic congestion when emergency vehicles need to pass through.
click for more
First Congregational Church of North Adams' fourth annual "Share the Love" campaign concluded with over $9,000 raised to support local organizations serving individuals in need. click for more
The School Building Committee's update on Tuesday included that a public records request for the detailed design documents is requiring redaction and review, including by public safety. click for more