Maxymillian Awarded Final Pittsfield Streetscape Contract

By Andy McKeeveriBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
The final phase will extend from Columbus Avenue to Madison Avenue, connecting the last two phases of the project.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — J.H. Maxymillian has been awarded the final streetscape contract.
 
The company's bid of $4,261,384.75 for the final phase was awarded by the city's purchasing department after bids were opened at the end of July. Maxymillian was previously awarded the contracts for the prior two phases of the North Street reconstruction.
 
"We did award the contract to Maxymillian and they will start construction in the first week of September," said Laurie Mick, community development specialist, on Tuesday.
 
Tony Simonelli, of Maxymillion, said the company is preparing to start work on Monday, Aug. 31, and work until "sometime around Thanksgiving" of this year. They'll return in the spring and worth through the summer.
 
"We don't want to start tearing up sidewalks at this time of the year," Simonelli said, saying most of the work this fall will be site preparation. He said some trenching will be done as long as the company can buy asphalt to cover the holes until the spring.
 
The majority of the work will begin in April 2016 and Simonelli said the company will be working with the city and businesses to limit the amount of inconveniences.
 
"There is always an impact to the businesses. But, we try to keep that to a minimum," he said, adding that there will always be access provided to the businesses.
 
"We're familiar with the concerns."
 
Maxymillian was the lowest bidder of four. Northern Construction, A Pereira Construction, and Baltazar Contractors bid on the contract as well, all bidding around $4.4 million. The state awarded the city $4.5 million for the project and the city has capital money available to contribute as well.
 
The start of construction is nearly two months behind but Mick says she doesn't anticipate any delays in completion, which is scheduled for fall 2016. The project was initially bid out in preparations for a July start but the three companies who bid then were over the $5 million budget the city has allocated for the work. 
 
In that bidding, Maxymillian was the highest bidder at $5.3 million while Northern Construction and Baltazar Contractors were closer to the $5 million with $5.2 and $5.1 million bid respectfully.
 
The design of the project then went back to engineers Fuss & O'Neill, who scaled back portions of the project. The project was then re-bid with Maxymillian being awarded.
 
"It's not anything that will delay the project," Mick said of the bidding process. "I don't foresee any issues with it."
 
Simonelli also said he anticipates being completed by November 2016.
 
Engineer Jon Dietrich of Fuss and O'Neill said the plans for the fourth and final section are similar to the rest of the street scape project in an interview in July, after the project was scaled back somewhat to fall into budget.  
 
The fourth and final phase will now finish off between Madison Avenue and Columbus Avenue. The project was first identified in a 2005 master plan for the city's downtown and the first construction started shortly after in conjunction with the redevelopment of the Colonial Theater.
 
It included Park Square to Housatonic Street, and then north by the Beacon Cinema. The third section was done last year from Berkshire Medical Center to Madison Avenue.
 
This is the third streetscape contract Maxymillian was awarded from the city. The company received the contract for the last two phases as well as having a long history with the city.
 
"We've done North Street at least four times," Simonelli.
 
The company is also just now finishing up the streetscape project in Great Barrington. 
 
"We're thrilled that they'll be able to continue," Mick said.
 
Updated with comments from Maxymillian at 4:34 p.m. on Aug. 18.

Tags: bidding,   North Street,   streetscape,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Council to See 10-Year Charter Review Report

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Following almost two years of work, the Charter Review Committee has made its recommendations to the City Council.

Tuesday's council agenda includes the committee's report dealing with governance items such as the charter objection, term limits, and financial procedures. Every 10 years, a panel reviews the City Charter, which defines the city's structure of government.

"The Charter Review Committee was established by city ordinance in May 2023. Its first meeting took place on August 7, 2023, under the direction of City Solicitor Stephen Pagnotta," Chair Michael McCarthy's executive summary reads.

"Solicitor Pagnotta informed the committee that its mission is to offer recommendations to city government concerning the Charter."

The charter objection was the most discussed issue throughout the preview process.  Members determined "the City's interest in a functioning government is not served well by a Charter' Objection being made by a sole Councilor."

The nearly 50-page report proposes amendments to Article 2 Section 9C, Charter Objection, to allow for discussion, require three supporters, and be prohibited when it pertains to the proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year.

"The Committee felt strongly that the budgetary process should not be held hostage to a Charter Objection. The process of approving a budget under the Charter involves months of hearings with firm calendar restrictions, leading to a budget that must be in place before each fiscal year begins," McCarthy wrote.

"A Charter Objection during this process would have the potential to disrupt and delay the budget being in place on July 1 of each fiscal year."

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories