Pittsfield Disc Golf Course Jumps Second Hoop

By Andy McKeeveriBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
Parks and Recreation Director James McGrath presented the idea to the Conservation Commission on Thursday.

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The proposed disc golf course at Kirvin Park jumped another hoop Thursday after the Conservation Commission gave their approval.

The proposal faced questions of how it would "co-exist" with other usages at the park and future uses. Parks and Recreation Director James McGrath told the commission that the course is mostly laid out in a portion of the park that is currently not mowed or maintained so it shouldn't disrupt anything.

"It's a minimally invasive layout," McGrath said. "We really feel disc golf can exist without conflict with other activities."

Commissioners questioned the extent it would be used and need for maintenance and while McGrath said there have been no surveys performed, the sport is rising in popularity and parks across the country are making courses.


"I have a feeling this will be well used," he said.

McGrath said the area is not likely to need mowing because of the foot traffic. The course is set up on an area that is currently only mowed once a year.

In other business, the commission agreed to extend the conditions on the Pontoosuc Lake draw down. The lake is drawn down every winter. Every three years, it has a "deep draw down" of 5 feet and every other year it is drawn down 3 1/2 feet.

The deep drawdowns have been adopted by the city and the town of Lanesborough to help fight milfoil, a weed that had been increasing in density. The deep drawdown exposes the land under the swimming areas to the winter elements and kills the roots.


Tags: conservation commission,   parks & rec,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Central Berkshire Picks Insider Henault for Next Superintendent

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff

Michael Henault is interviewed by the School Committee on Wednesday. 
DALTON, Mass. — The Central Berkshire Regional School Committee didn't go far to find its next superintendent. 
 
The committee voted unanimously on Wednesday to offer the post to Michael Henault, who has been the district's assistant superintendent for three years. 
 
"He is an incredible candidate. It doesn't matter for what district, and I think he is ready, and certainly chomping at the bit to take on the next challenge," said Charlotte Crane, committee member. 
 
"I suspect that we wouldn't be able to hold on again for too much longer in the assistant superintendent position." 
 
The vote came at the end of a four-hour meeting during which Henault and two other finalists — John Franzoni, superintendent of the Northern Berkshire School Union, and Matthew Bishop, interim deputy superintendent for the Pittsfield Public Schools — were interviewed. 
 
The 13 of the 15 committee members representing the seven towns in the district agreed that it was a difficult decision because of the quality of the candidates. 
 
"I'm extremely torn right now," said Ellen Lattizzori of Dalton. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories