Berkshire School Districts to Receive Stimulus Help

Staff reportsiBerkshires
Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — The state is pumping $168 million federal monies into school districts across the state to prevent them from falling under their so-called "foundation" spending levels, including $2 million for the Pittsfield Public Schools.

Last week, Pittfield school administrators said they would freeze their pay and urged the school district's seven unions to agree to forgo wage increases, according to The Berkshire Eagle. The district may end this fiscal year in the red and is facing potential losses of nearly $3 million in grant reductions. The school's budget is about $49 million.

Clarksburg will get $142,956 and Florida, $49,599. Both schools were facing budget cuts. Four other Berkshire school districts are among the 166 that will be receiving federal stimulus funding. Adams-Cheshire, on the other hand, which is facing a $1.4 million budget gap is getting a total of $30.

Berkshire County schools are expected to receive another $8 million in spending.

None reach the levels of some of the bigger districts in the state. Springfield, for instance, is in line to get $13 million, Worcester $14 million.

While many of the districts may see the injection of money as a way to stave off waves of teacher layoffs and prevent programs from eliminated, Mitchell D. Chester, commissioner of elementary and secondary education, cautioned that the funding had to align to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act goals.

Foundation Aid
Adams-Cheshire $30
Clarksburg $142,956
Central Berkshire $11,438
Florida $49,599
Northern Berkshire $111,457
Pittsfield $2,137,112
Savoy $7,387
"We recognize that many districts need to use a portion of their ARRA funds to help support ongoing educational programs that would otherwise be reduced or eliminated in this time of fiscal distress," he wrote in a message Thursday to state superintendents. "At the same time, if all of the funds are used in this way, we will face another budget crisis in two years, and will have missed an opportunity to make systemic improvements in our schools and districts."

The funding must be used for job retention and creation, applied toward student achievement, managed in a transparent manner and utilized with the realization that the funding is temporary.

Chester is asking districts to use half their funding on strategic investments that will further student progress and that "will provide ongoing benefits and/or cost savings beyond the expiration of ARRA funding."

The money is being disbursed to those schools unable to reach foundation funding, the amount determined for an average school system to adequately educate its children. Part of the state's education reform, the foundation level is determined by a complex calculation that includes enrollment and educational categories and reached through property taxes and Chapter 70 education aid.

Gov. Deval Patrick's fiscal 2010 budget level-funded Chapter 70 at nearly $4 billion, but the significant drop-off in state revenue collections because of the recession is expected to prevent 166 districts from reaching foundation spending levels next year.

If the governor's Chapter 70 proposal is approved by the Legislature, dedicating a portion of the state's estimated $1.88 billion for education programs from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will guarantee foundation-level funding for all districts, according to the governor's offic.

"It is vitally important that we apply the federal stabilization funds to restore adequate operating budgets at the elementary and secondary education levels," said Education Secretary Paul Reville. "We have made much progress on education reform initiatives and our students are achieving at higher levels every year. These funds will allow us to continue to build on our success and more fully prepare all students to reach their full potential."

The districts in line to receive ARRA education funding can be found here.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Clarksburg Select Board Accepts School Roof Bid, Debates Next Steps

By Tammy Daniels iBerkshires Staff
CLARKSBURG, Mass. — The Select Board last week accepted a bid by D.J. Wooliver & Sons to do the flat roof on the elementary school. 
 
Wooliver was the lowest bid at about $400,000 but cautioned that the cost may rise depending on the conditions once the work started. The work will depend on town meeting approving a borrowing for the project and a possible debt exclusion.
 
But how much borrow and whether the work will be worth it has been a conundrum for town and school officials. The condition of the school has been a major topic at meetings of the board and the School Committee over the past few months. 
 
Town officials are considering putting the question to the voters — try to piecemeal renovations or begin a new study on renovating or building a new school. 
 
In the meantime, the leaking roof has prompted an array of buckets throughout the school. 
 
"Until they actually get in there and start ripping everything up, we won't really know the extent of all the damage per se so it's really kind of hard to make a decision," board member Colton Andrew said at last week's meeting, broadcast on Northern Berkshire Community Television.
 
Board member Daniel Haskins wondered if it would be better to patch until a town made a decision on a school project or do a portion of the roof. But Chair Robert Norcross disagreed. 
 
View Full Story

More North Adams Stories